Our health and safety consultants will help you identify, manage and monitor your hazardous substances effectively.
We will create COSHH risk assessments to not only control the chemicals you have on site but use the COSHH assessment to train staff.
The latest COSHH legislation states that any company that is in use of any chemical ranging from office equipment and kitchen household chemicals to propane and oxy-acetylene, anything classed as hazardous, by law need a COSHH risk assessment.
7 Steps of complying with COSHH
1. Identify hazardous substance and assess the risks.
Assess the risk to health arising from hazardous substances used and or created by your workplace activities.
2. Decide what precautions are needed.
You must not carry our work which could expose your employees to hazardous substances without first considering the risks and necessary precautions, and what else you need to do to comply with COSHH.
3. Prevent or adequately control exposure
You MUST prevent your employees and others being exposed to hazardous substances. Where preventing exposure is not reasonably practicable, then you MUST adequately control it.
- Engineering controls (Isolation, Enclosure(s), Ventilation including Local Exhaust Ventilation).
- Change work methods
- Reduce exposure time
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Instruction, Information and Training
4. Control Measures
Ensure control measures are used and maintained properly. Ensure your Employees make proper use of control measures provided by you to control exposure and report and defects / faults and you MUST ensure you employees are trained on control measures provided and how to report faults.
5. Monitor exposure
Monitor the exposure of employees to hazardous substances, measuring concentrations where assessment concludes that
- Serious risk if controls fail;
- Exposure limits may be exceeded;
- Control measures may not be working properly;
- employees are exposed to certain substances / process scheduled in schedule 5 of COSHH
- Employees are significantly exposed to processes in schedule 6 of COSHH;
- Employees exposed to substances linked to particular disease or adverse health effects and reasonable likelihood of disease / effect occurring and possible to detect disease / effect;
- May be professional, trained supervision or self check.
- Nature of substance and associated risks
- Precaustions staff should take
- Control measures - Purpose, how to use them and how to report faults
- Results of monitoring and health surveillance
Call 0800 978 8659 or email on email@example.com for your free consultation.